Sausages with Roasted Peppers and Potatoes
Cooking time: 35 minutes for menu Cooking schedule: see below for instructions
Bratwurst, Italian sausages, whatever your favorite, grilled, are perfect summer food. And, as long as you're grilling, do the rest of the dinner, too.
Sausages with Roasted Peppers, Onions and Potatoes
Total time: 35 minutes
A simple summer dinner, done completely on the grill. Use your favorite sausage: pork, chicken, turkey, duck... with or without added flavoring (apples, olives, herbs).
- 6 - 8 sausages, 12oz (360gr) total weight
- 1 bell pepper, any color
- 1 large onion or 2 medium
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- The vegetables:
- Slice pepper (cut in half from bottom toward stem, discard seed and core) and onion (either vertically or horizontally - tastes the same and, in my humble opinion, looks the same after cooking).
- Cut the potato into bite-size pieces.
- Put olive oil, chili powder and Worcestershire sauce in large bowl, add all vegetables and toss well to coat.
- Put into 'grill pan' (a metal or foil pan dedicated to use on the grill) or onto a mesh grill pan (the idea is not to have the stuff fall through the grate into the fire....)
- Cook over medium heat 20 - 30 minutes, until vegetables have a nice color and potatoes are done.
- The sausages:
- About 10 minutes into vegetable cooking time put the sausages on the grill (allow more time if they are fat). Grill until done. Whichever gets done first just move to the side off of the main heat and finish up.
- Remove all and serve.
OR: Put potatoes, onions and peppers onto a baking sheet with a lip (my trusty 'pizza' pan) and roast in 400F (200C) oven for 30 minutes. You can either add sausages after 10 minutes or sauté sausages in large nonstick skillet, browning well on all sides, then cover and continue cooking until done 4 - 8 minutes longer, depending on size (cut one open and look - shouldn't be pink).
OR: Sauté potatoes, onions and peppers and do the sausages on the grill ....enough with the options, you get the picture.
Cooking schedule: 30 minutes
Assemble all food, utensils and serving dishes
Utensils: measuring cups, spoons, knives,
large bowl, grill pan, barbecue grill
Turn on/light barbecue grill
Cut potatoes, peppers, onions
Mix oil, chili powder, Worcestershire in bowl
Add vegetables, stir well to coat
Start to cook vegetables
Stand around a bit
Stir the veg
Start to cook sausages
Stand around some more
Periodically fuss with the sausage and veg
When everything looks good, remove