Savory Pork Hash
Cooking time: 25 minutes for menu Cooking schedule: see below for instructions
This is not the finely minced or ground hash of my mother's generation, but a chunky, slightly spicy, modern version... Still making good use of leftovers, however.
Savory Pork Hash
Total time: 25 minutes
Not a traditional meat for hash but the perfect way to use up the leftovers from a braised pork. Toss in any leftover gravy or sauce and you have a moist hash with a bit of caramel crunchiness from the sautéed vegetables.
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 - 2 ribs celery about 1 cup
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs chicken stock
- 12oz (360gr) pork leftover roast or chops, tenderloin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs whole grain mustard
- 1/2 cup leftover gravy or sauce or
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) chicken stock or apple juice, 1/4 tsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp cornstarch maizena
- Cut the potatoes - the long way, first in half, then in half again. Now slice (the short way) about 1/8" (.25cm) thick.
- Cut the carrots in quarters the long way then slice the same thickness as the potatoes.
- Cut the celery in half the long way and then slice the same thickness.
- Roughly chop the onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Cut pork into 1/2" (1cm) cubes.
- Heat 1 tbs oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add carrots, potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tbs chicken stock, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and add onion, garlic, celery.
- Turn heat to medium-high. As chicken stock cooks off, vegetables will start to brown.
- Once they are starting to brown, reduce heat to medium, add paprika, thyme, pork and mix well.
- Using a spatula stir and flip vegetables occasionally until they are all nicely browned and done.
- If using
leftover sauce: Stir mustard into sauce. Add to skillet, stirring until well combined and heated through.
- If using chicken stock: Mix stock, rosemary, cornstarch and mustard. Add to skillet as above.
Cooking schedule: 40 minutes
Assemble all food, utensils and serving dishes
Utensils: measuring cups, spoons, knives,
skillet with lid
Slice potatoes, carrots
Sauté potatoes and carrots
Slice celery, chop onion
Add stock to potatoes, carrots, cover, simmer
Mix mustard with sauce or stock, etc.
Uncover skillet, add onion, celery, garlic, sauté
Relax, stir occasionally
Add paprika, thyme, pork
When ready, add sauce/mustard
Stir well, heat through