Fresh Peach and Berry Salad
Cooking time: 60 minutes for menu Cooking schedule: see below for instructions
I originally made this with Chevre.... This time it's with Brie. I can't decide which I prefer. The perfect end of summer quiche, stuffed with basil and tomatoes. Cook the rice earlier for quicker assembly.
Tomato and Chevre Tart
Total time: 60 minutes, 45 if rice cooked earlier
I use a brown rice crust for this; it's healthier. But you could certainly use a proper pastry or pie crust if you prefer. Instead of Prosciutto you could substitute a bit of regular, baked ham or smoked turkey. And any cheese would work, just don't use too much.... Use the aged goat cheese that comes with a thin edible rind.
- 1/2 cup (3.3oz, 95gr) quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (1oz, 30gr) shredded cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4oz (120gr) Brie, chevre, (goat cheese), or other semi-soft cheese
- 4oz (120gr) Prosciutto or other dry-cured ham
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120gr) Greek or plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, loosely packed
- The crust:
- Cook rice in stock according to package instructions.
- When done, spread out on a plate for 5 minutes to allow to cool a bit.
- Lightly oil a 10" (25 cm) pie or quiche plate.
- Lightly whisk 1 egg.
- Add 1/4 cup shredded cheese and the cooked rice. Mix well.
- Pat into the quiche plate or pie pan, working it up the sides as best you can.
- Bake in 400F (200C) oven for 5 minutes.
- The filling:
- Slice cheese into 1/4" (.6cm) slices.
- Slice tomatoes about 3/8 " thick, (.3cm).
- Tear or cut Prosciutto into large pieces.
- Leave basil leaves whole.
- Whisk eggs and yogurt together.
- To assemble:
- Arrange sliced goat cheese on crust.
- Top with Prosciutto and basil leaves.
- Pour egg mixture over as evenly as you can.
- Top with tomatoes; do not overlap.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until center has set.
- Remove and let rest 5 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
Note: When baking quiches or tarts, I put the dish on a sturdy baking tray, before pouring in the egg mixture, for easier handling.
Fresh Peach and Berry Salad
Total time: 10 minutes
Summer fruits are at their peak. I used white peaches and fresh strawberries. ( My strawberries are the ever-bearing variety.) Use whatever peaches and/or nectarines and berries are in season. A bit of sugar, vanilla and Greek Yogurt finishes off this salad. You could also add a bit of fresh mint or a tot of rum.....
- 1 cup fresh berries
- 1 - 2 peaches or nectarines
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla do not use if you are adding rum
- 4oz (120gr) Greek yogurt
- Rinse peaches and berries.
- Stem and cut berries if needed.
- Cut peaches in half around pit and twist, gently. If the peaches are 'freestone' the halves will come apart easily. Slice. If they are 'clingstone' the halves will not budge and you'll have to cut the peach off the stone in chunks.
- Put fruit into a medium bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Stir gently.
- Mix yogurt and vanilla.
- Add to fruit and stir gently. Serve.
Assemble all ingredients and utensils
Utensils: measuring cups, spoons, knives,
scissors, whisk, medium bowl, small saucepan,
lid, quiche or pie plate, baking tray
Start to cook rice
Turn oven on, 400F (200C)
Oil quiche dish
Wait for rice
Spread rice out to cool
Whisk 1 egg, shredded cheese
Add rice, mix
Pat into quiche dish
Remove crust, assemble quiche, place on tray
Whisk 3 eggs, yogurt
Pour egg mixture over quiche
Top quiche with tomatoes, bake
30 minute break
Remove quiche when done, let rest
Slice peaches, prep berries
Make peach and berry salad
Slice quiche, serve