Pasta with Turkey, Leeks and Peas
Cooking time: 30 minutes for menu Cooking schedule: see below for "menu" instructions
I decided on a simple pasta dinner for this busy time of year. Besides.... Pasta is always good.
Pasta with Turkey, Peas and Leeks
Total time: 30 minutes
Frozen peas are another under-used vegetable. They are hard to find fresh and, for peas, frozen is better, anyway. The leeks add a mild onion flavor to the pasta and a sprinkle of shredded cheese finishes it.
- 2 medium leeks - about 1 1/2" diameter (3.5cm) each
- 1 cup (6oz, 180gr) fresh or frozen peas (more or less) naked - not sauced
- 10oz (300gr) turkey If you have to buy a larger tenderloin, divide and freeze the rest
- 2 tsp dried tarragon
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) white wine
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) shredded cheese
- 1 1/4 cup pasta, bite-size, penne, farfalle
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Clean leeks and slice thinly.
- Slice turkey into strips.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add leeks and sauté until starting to get tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add turkey and sauté 5 minutes longer.
- Add chicken stock, wine, tarragon and peas
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until peas are done and tender, about 10 minutes.
- To finish: Add the drained pasta, and cook, stirring until heated through and the liquid has either been reduced a bit or absorbed by the pasta.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese, stir to combine and serve.
Cooking schedule: 30 minutes
Assemble all food, utensils and serving dishes
Utensils: measuring cups, spoons, knives,
pot and colander for pasta, skillet with lid
Put water on high heat for pasta
Slice leeks, sauté
Slice turkey, add to leeks
Stand around a few minutes
Shred the cheese if needed
Start to cook pasta
Add peas, stock, wine and tarragon to turkey
Cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is done
Wee break while stuff cooks
Drain pasta, put into skillet with turkey
Cook a minute or two, stirring gently
Sprinkle with cheese, stir and serve