Caesar Pasta Salad with Spicy Flank Steak
Cooking time: 25 minutes for menu Cooking schedule: see below for instructions
I love the flavor of Caesar salad - so I've adapted it to pasta, chicken, beef... And made it much lower in calories than the original (which we'll also do this summer, but a small one as a starter).
Caesar Pasta Salad with Flank Steak
Total time: 25 minutes
With the chili powder, Worcestershire and garlic, this has a surprising kick to it... not hot, just assertive. The creamy Greek yogurt is the perfect foil.
- 10oz (300gr) flank steak, or other beef suitable for stir-fry
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 3 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms
- 4 tsp oil
- 1 1/4 cups (4.2oz, 120gr) pasta - fusilli, penne
- 1 tbs salad olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup (3oz, 90gr) cherry tomatoes, for garnish
- Caesar dressing
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs tarragon white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 anchovy filets, mashed or 1 tsp anchovy paste (optional)
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120gr) Greek or plain yogurt
- 2 tbs salad olive oil
- 1 tbs snipped fresh chives
- 3 tbs Parmesan
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- When done, drain, put into a large serving bowl and toss with 1 tbs olive oil.
- Mix chili powder, 2 tbs Worcestershire and garlic.
- Slice flank steak into strips and toss with chili powder mixture.
- Clean mushrooms and thickly slice.
- Make dressing.
- Heat 2 tsp oil and 1 tbs Worcestershire in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and stir to coat. Fry until soft and starting to brown, 5 - 7 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tsp oil to skillet. Add beef and quickly stir-fry over medium-high heat, 2 - 3 minutes.
- To assemble:
- Cut and slice avocado.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Add half the steak to the pasta.
- Add 2/3 dressing to pasta and toss to mix. (A tongs works great for this!)
- After mixing, taste and add rest of dressing if you like.
- Put pasta in a large bowl.
- Spread the remaining steak in a circle on top.
- Add the mushrooms in the center.
- Arrange avocado slices around the edge.
- Add tomatoes and serve, any remaining dressing on the side.
- Caesar Dressing
- Mince garlic and put in small bowl.
- Add mustard, lemon, Worcestershire, vinegar and yogurt (and anchovies, if using) and mix well with wire whisk.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil whisking constantly.
- Whisk in Parmesan and chives.
25 minutes for menu
Assemble all ingredients and utensils
Utensils: measuring cups, spoons, knives,
large pot, colander, small bowl, whisk, medium
large skillet or barbecue grill, large bowl
Put water on high heat for pasta
Mix chili powder, garlic, Worcestershire
Add steak, toss well, set aside
Thickly slice mushrooms
Start to cook pasta
Make Caesar dressing
Add steak to skillet, stir-fry
Slice cherry tomatoes
Drain pasta, put in large bowl
Add half of steak, some dressing, toss to coat
Add rest of steak, mushrooms, avocado, tomatoes
Serve and eat!