Pork Tenderloin, Oriental Barbecue
Oriental Zucchini, (Courgette)
Cooking time: 45 minutes for menu Cooking schedule: see below for instructions
The Food Police, aka the FDA, have lowered their requirements for cooking pork. Pink pork is now acceptable, 145F down from 160F). As we've been eating ours like that for years, it's nice to know we're finally legal. Pork is moist, tender, and juicy if left slightly pink in the center.
Oriental Barbecued Pork Tenderloin
Total time: 45 minutes
This is a 'liquid' marinade that gets nicely into the pork. Continue basting as it cooks, but remember to stop about 10 minutes before you take the pork off the grill, and give the pork one last turn, so any 'raw' marinade is cooked before removing the pork. Do not use any leftover sauce without cooking it first. Pink is best for pork.
- 12oz (360gr) pork tenderloin
- 3 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs ketchup
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- Put all ingredients except pork into a bowl and mix well using a whisk.
- Pour over pork and let marinate for 15 minutes.
- When ready, cook pork on barbecue for 25 - 30 minutes, depending on thickness. Turn occasionally to brown on all sides and baste frequently with marinade. Quit basting after 15 minutes.
- Pork is done at 145 F (62C). It will be slightly pink in the center which is perfect. If you don't have a thermometer (instant or remote read) check it after 20 minutes by slicing into middle for a peak. When done let it rest for 3 - 4 minutes, then slice at an angle, into 1" (2.5cm) thick slices and serve.
Note: Could also be roasted about the same amount of time, turning and basting, 400F (200C).
Total time: 35 minutes
Simple, grilled or roasted potatoes are perfect with equally simple, grilled meats. Vary the herbs, Worcestershire, etc. according to the rest of the meal.
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Slice potatoes in half the long way, then in half again. Then slice in half or thirds the short way.
- Put remaining ingredients into large bowl and mix well.
- Add potatoes and stir, coating thoroughly.
- Put them into an old metal pie plate or cake tin or foil barbecue container (or whatever) that you will never use for any purpose but the barbecue again... and you should have one of these. Cook on barbecue (grill) for 25 - 30 minutes or until done... and you will need to stir them with a long-handled wooden spoon occasionally as they tend to develop 'hot spots' and can get a little crispy.
- Or you can roast them in the oven. Arrange potatoes on baking sheet with rim (I use my trusty, round pizza pan) Bake at 400F for 30 minutes.
Oriental Zucchini (Courgette)
Total time: 25 minutes
Thinly slice the zucchini using a box slicer, mandolin, or food processor. Sauté quickly, until just starting to get soft but stop while they still retain their shape. Finish with toasted sesame seeds.
- 1 medium zucchini (courgette) - about 2 cups thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion or 1/2 large
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sesame or walnut oil
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- Slice onion.
- Mince garlic.
- Thinly slice zucchini.
- Heat oils in medium, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté until tender.
- Add garlic, ginger and soy sauce and sauté briefly.
- Turn heat to medium, add courgette and continue to sauté for about 7 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until zucchini is tender.
- Remove, top with toasted sesame seeds and serve.
Note: To toast sesame seeds put into a bare, nonstick skillet over medium heat and brown, tossing/stirring frequently. It takes 8 - 15 minutes depending on heat and size of pan.
Cooking schedule: 45 minutes
Assemble all food, utensils and serving dishes
Utensils: measuring cups, spoons, knives,
small bowl, medium bowl, dish for marinating,
skillet, barbecue grill and grill pan
Turn on/light barbecue grill
Make marinade, pour over pork
Mix Worcestershire, paprika, rosemary,oil
Cut potatoes, add to oil mix, stir to coat
Start to cook potatoes
Slice onion, mince garlic
Start to cook pork, baste it
Take a wee break while it all cooks
Toast sesame seeds
Add garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sauté
Add zucchini, sauté
Baste, turn pork, baste
Mind the zucchini
Turn the pork
Take a peak - if done, remove and let rest
Slice pork, serve