Stir-Fry Turkey with Spring Vegetables
Cooking time: 30 minutes for menu Cooking schedule: see below for instructions
White asparagus is much more common in Europe. I often buy a bit of both, as I did for this dish.
Stir-fried Turkey with Spring Vegetables
Total time: 25 minutes
This cooks quickly, as most stir-fries do, allowing the bright green, spring vegetables to retain their color. I use Brown rice but substitute Basmati if you prefer. Add other spring vegetables if you have them.
- 10oz (300gr) turkey cutlets or tenderloin or you can use chicken
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 rib celery
- 6oz (180gr) asparagus green or white... or a bit of each
- 4oz (120gr) snow peas (mangetout)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) chicken stock
- 1 tbs sherry (optional)
- 1 tbs cornstarch (Maizena, corn flour) dissolved in
- 1 tbs soy sauce plus 1 tbs water
- Brown Rice:
- 1/2 cup (3.3oz, 95gr) brown rice, quick-cooking
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock or whatever your rice calls for
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Thinly slice onion.
- Mince garlic.
- Snap off the ends of the asparagus then roll cut into 1 inch (2.5cm) lengths.
- Trim snow peas, cut large ones in half or thirds.
- Cut the turkey into bite-size pieces.
- Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion to skillet and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir-fry another 2 minutes.
- Remove onion/garlic from pan and set aside. Add sesame oil to pan and heat.
- Add turkey and stir-fry 3 - 5 minutes, until nicely browned. Remove and put with onions.
- Add asparagus to skillet and stir-fry 3 minutes.
- Add snow peas to skillet and stir-fry 1 - 2 minutes longer.
- Return everything to the skillet. Add chicken stock, sherry and bring to a boil.
- Dissolve cornstarch in soy sauce and water. Add cornstarch mixture to pan and stir until thickened.
- Add more soy sauce if desired, according to taste.
- Serve over Brown Rice.
Cooking schedule: 30 minutes
Assemble all food, utensils and serving dishes
Utensils: measuring cups, spoons, knives,
large skillet with lid, small saucepan with lid
Slice onion, celery
Trim pea pods
Start to cook rice
Dissolve cornstarch in soy sauce
Heat oil in skillet or wok
Add onions, celery, stir-fry
Add garlic, stir-fry
Add sesame oil, turkey, stir-fry
Add asparagus, stir-fry
Add snow peas, stir-fry
Return everything to pan
Add stock and sherry, heat to simmer
Add cornstarch, stir until thickened
Serve all and eat