Lentil and Sausage Pasta with Avocado Sauce, garnished with Zucchini
Total time: 30 minutes
Not quite a hot pasta dish; not quite a pasta salad. But chock-a-block with vegetables and flavor. Can easily be made vegetarian: eliminate the sausages and add more zucchini, lentils (cooked in water) or tofu.
- 1 cup cooked lentils I used Lentils du Puy, (1/3 cup lentils cooked in 1 cup water or stock)
- 1 1/4 cup (4.2oz, 125gr) pasta, penne
- 1 small avocado
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (2.5oz, 75gr) soft goat cheese
- 1 tbs snipped fresh basil
- 1 tbs snipped fresh parsley
- 1 tbs snipped fresh chives
- 4 - 6 sausages, depending on size, 8oz (240gr) total weight
- 1/2 courgette (zucchini or yellow squash)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- If cooking lentils:
- Briefly inspect the lentils in case someone missed the odd stone. Rinse and drain.
- Cook the lentils in water and/or stock, about 25 minutes / according to package directions or until done. When done, remove from heat and drain if needed.
- Avocado sauce:
- Cut avocado and remove pit. Put both halves of the avocado into a small bowl.
- Add lemon juice and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- When well mashed add goat cheese and mash together.
- Slice into 1/2" (1.25cm) thick slices.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. The skillet needs to be large enough to hold all of the slices flat. Add zucchini slices and fry 8 - 12 minutes.
- Check after 8 by lifting up with tongs and looking at the bottom; it should be getting brown spots on it. If not, fry some more; if yes turn and fry the other side. The other side won't take quite as long.
- When they are done the slices will have nice, browned patches on both sides and be tender.
- Cook on barbecue grill 10 - 15 minutes or until done (can also be sautéed in nonstick skillet - same amount of time).
- To finish:
- When pasta is done put it into a large bowl with lentils and herbs.
- Add mashed avocado/chevre and toss well to combine.
- When sausages are done, remove and slice in 1 inch (2.5cm) lengths.
- Add to pasta and toss well to combine.
- Lay zucchini slices on top and serve.