Swiss-Style Pork Chops
Total time: 45 minutes
Pork chops, smothered in tomatoes, peppers and onions, in the style of old-fashioned Swiss Steak, are fork tender and chock-a-block with flavor.
- 2 - 3 boneless pork chops, (12oz, 360gr total weight)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 1 rib celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 3/4 cups (15oz, 450gr) tomatoes with juice
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet with a tight-fitting lid. Add chops and brown on both sides, about 6 minutes total.
- Roughly chop pepper, celery and onion.
- Mince garlic.
- Move chops to one side (stack them up) and add vegetables to pan. Sauté, stirring, for 1 - 2 minutes, just to soften slightly.
- Arrange chops on vegetables.
- Open tomatoes and drain juice onto chops. Roughly chop tomatoes and add to pan along with Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 35 minutes.
- Uncover, cook down a bit if you like, and serve.
Note: For really tender chops, braise for another 30 minutes or cook in a crock pot.