Pasta with Scallops and Shrimp
Total time: 25 minutes
By sautéing the shrimp and scallops in garlic butter they get a robust flavor offset by the creamy cheese sauce... If you don't normally have milk on hand use part chicken stock and part white wine- different sauce, equally good! I used spinach fettuccini.
- 6oz (180gr) sea or bay scallops I had 8 large sea scallops
- 6oz (180gr) shrimp, cleaned
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 tbs dry sherry
- 1 tbs cornstarch (corn flour, maizena)
- 2 tsp dried parsley
substitute 2 tbs fresh
- 1/4 cup (1oz, 30gr) freshly grated Parmesan
- 4oz (120gr) fettuccini, spaghetti, linguini or other long pasta
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- The sauce:
- Heat stock and milk to boiling in small saucepan.
- Dissolve cornstarch in sherry and add to saucepan, stirring and cooking until sauce has thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and gradually add the shredded cheese, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Turn off heat, and cover saucepan to keep warm until needed.
- The seafood:
- Clean shrimp if needed.
- Mince garlic.
- Heat butter and oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add paprika and sauté briefly.
- Add garlic and sauté until golden, 2 - 3 minutes.
- Turn heat up to medium and add scallops and shrimp. Sauté until shrimp start to curl and both start to turn opaque, turning once. This should not take longer than 3 - 5 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- To finish:
- When pasta is done, drain well and return to cooking pan.
- Add sauce and toss well to coat.
- Put pasta in a bowl if serving immediately or a baking dish just large enough to hold everything if not.
- Arrange scallops and shrimp on top and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Either serve immediately or put into a warm oven (250F, 120C) for up to 15 minutes to keep hot.