Salmon, Smoked Salmon and Potato Gratin
Total time: 55 minutes
A mix of fresh and smoked salmon gives a lot of flavor to this simple gratin. Simmering the potatoes in milk shortens the baking time.
- 2 medium potatoes, 10oz (300gr)
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) milk
- 8oz (240gr) fresh salmon
- 3oz (90gr) smoked salmon either wet or dry smoked
- 1/2 tsp dried dill weed
- 1/3 cup (3oz, 90gr) Greek or plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- The potatoes: Thinly slice potatoes.
- Pour milk into a medium skillet and heat to simmering.
- Add potatoes, in layers. Cook, uncovered, until potatoes turn translucent, about 15 minutes.
- The salmon: Cut fresh salmon into 1" (2.5cm) thick slices.
- Roughly chop smoked salmon.
- To assemble: Remove 1/3 of the potatoes from the milk, arrange in a baking dish.
- Spread smoked salmon on potatoes.
- Top with 1/3 potatoes, in a layer.
- Arrange fresh salmon on potatoes.
- Top with remaining 1/3 potatoes.
- To finish: Add dill, yogurt to milk and stir well. (Milk will be thick from the potatoes.)
- Pour over the top of the gratin.
- Top with shredded cheese, cover with foil and bake, 400F (200C) for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer, until cheese starts to brown. Remove and serve.