Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Cheese and Sage
Total time: 30 minutes
Putting the herbs inside the chicken lets the flavor permeate the whole breast. They're finished with a simple basting sauce and a coating of Parmesan.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese
- 4 large fresh sage leaves, or 8 small
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs ketchup
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs Parmesan
- With a sharp knife make a long slit in the edge of the chicken breast - cutting horizontally and being careful not to cut through the other side. You should have a pocket the shape of the breast with 1/2 inch of 'uncut' chicken around 3 sides.
- Put half of the sage leaves and half of the cheese in each pocket.
- Wrap entire breast with kitchen string to hold it together - and keep as much cheese inside as possible.
- Mix garlic powder, balsamic vinegar and olive oil and brush on both sides of breasts.
- Grill on barbecue for 5 - 8 minutes per side or until done or bake in oven for 25 minutes at 400F or until done.
- Remove from heat and remove string.
- Mix ketchup and soy sauce.
- Spoon the sauce onto the chicken and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Put back on the grill (with the grill turned off) and cover for 2 minutes, just to melt cheese on top.