Chicken Breasts with Red-Eye Gravy
Total time: 30 minutes
It's the coffee that gives the name to this dish. I use instant as I always have some on hand for caffeine emergencies. Leftover from morning coffee works just fine - as long as it hasn't been on the burner all day ;-) I usually cut chicken breasts in half before cooking.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2oz (60gr) Prosciutto or bacon 2 - 3 slices
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) strong coffee
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) chicken stock
- 2 tsp cornstarch (maizena) dissolved in 1 tbs water
- Roughly chop Prosciutto/bacon.
- Clean, trim and quarter mushrooms.
- Cut chicken breasts in half.
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- When hot add paprika and sauté 1 minute.
- Add bacon or Prosciutto and sauté; 2 minutes for Prosciutto, 5 minute if using bacon.
- Add mushrooms and sauté 4 minutes longer.
- Move vegetables and bacon to the side and add chicken breasts.
- Sauté 2 minutes per side.
- Add coffee, stock and sugar, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 - 15 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken (put on a plate and cover with the lid from the pan) and increase heat.
- Add cornstarch dissolved in water and stir until sauce is thick.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve.