Total time: 30 minutes
Boneless chicken breasts, cooked with onions, peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes make a quick, healthy, dinner, perfect for midweek. Add Tabasco if you like more heat.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 green bell pepper
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 15oz (450gr) whole tomatoes
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 bay leaf (laurel)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Brown Rice
- 1/2 cup (3.3oz, 95gr) quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock or whatever your rice calls for
- Cut chicken breasts in half, the short way.
- Cut pepper in half, discarding seeds and top; roughly chop.
- Chop onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Clean and slice the mushrooms.
- Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the pepper, onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, garlic, mushrooms and sauté another 5 minutes.
- Push vegetables to the sides of pan and add chicken. Sauté until chicken starts to brown.
- Drain tomatoes reserving juice.
- Roughly chop tomatoes and add to chicken, along with juices, Worcestershire and herbs.
- Cover, reduce heat and let simmer 10 - 15 minutes, until chicken is done.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Brown Rice:
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Fluff and serve.
- To finish:
- Put rice on a small platter, spoon Creole over and serve.