Spinach Salad with Chicken, Quinoa and Avocado
Total time: 25 minutes
I like to add a bit of carbohydrate to my salads, to round them out and make a full meal. Quinoa has become a favorite addition. It cooks quickly, adds a nutty flavor, and is so outrageously healthy. If you can't find it, substitute brown rice (quick cooking) or couscous. Or leave it out. The same with the nuts - I add them because they're good for me... And I love them
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 tbs Teriyaki marinade
- 6oz (180gr) fresh spinach or a mix of greens
- 1/3 cup (2.4oz, 67gr) quinoa
- 2/3 cup (5oz, 150ml) chicken stock
- 1 avocado
- asparagus, 2 - 3 oz (100gr) optional
- 1/3 cup walnut halves
- 1 tbs snipped fresh chives substitute 1 tbs dried
- 1 tbs snipped fresh basil substitute 1 tbs dried
- Oriental Vinaigrette
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs Balsamic wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- 3 tbs good olive oil
- Pour marinade over chicken and set aside.
- Combine quinoa and stock in small saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until done, about 15 minutes (or whatever your package says).
- Snap off asparagus ends. Peel if using white. Cut asparagus into 1 1/2" (4cm) lengths.
- Bring a medium saucepan half full of water to a boil over medium high heat.
- Add asparagus and boil for 3 minutes (4 for white). Remove, drain.
- Cook chicken on barbecue grill over direct heat for 8 - 10 minutes per side.
- When done remove and slice.
- Or cut into strips, toss with Teriyaki sauce and stir-fry in nonstick skillet in 1 tbs oil for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Slice avocado. then cut it into large cubes.
- Snip herbs.
- Wash and spin-dry spinach if needed. If it's not pre-washed, fill a sink with water, add spinach and swish to clean. Drain and spin in salad spinner. Tear any large leaves.
- To assemble:
- Prepare spinach and put into large salad bowl along with the herbs.
- Toss with about half of the vinaigrette - be careful not to use too much to start.
- Fluff the quinoa and spoon it around the spinach. Toss lightly to distribute.
- Add chicken, avocado and walnuts. Toss lightly.
- Taste, add more vinaigrette if needed, and serve, any remaining vinaigrette on the side.
- Oriental Vinaigrette:
- In a small bowl whisk vinegar, soy sauce and mustard.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil.
Note: We only used about 2/3 of this - but we like lightly dressed salads.