Beef, Chickpea and Feta Pasta Salad
Total time: 25 minutes
Chock full of healthy foods: spinach, chick peas, herbs, feta and beef (yes, cheese and beef are healthy foods...) this salad really shouldn't taste nearly as good as it does. You might want to make more - for leftovers! You could use whole wheat pasta....
- 1 1/4 cups (4.2oz, 125gr) bite-size pasta, rigatoni, penne, etc.
- 10oz (300gr) flank steak,
- 1 3/4 cups (15oz, 450gr) chickpeas
- 4oz (120gr) feta cheese
- 4oz (120gr) spinach leaves
- 2 tbs snipped chives or garlic chives substitute 1 tbs dried chives
- 2 tbs snipped basil substitute 1 tbs dried basil
- 5 large fresh mint leaves, snipped, optional, substitute more basil
- 1 tbs ketchup
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbs tomato paste substitute ketchup
- 2 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Soy sauce
- 6 tbs salad olive oil
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. When done, drain and put into a large serving bowl.
- Mix ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, oil, chili powder and oregano for marinade.
- Spoon marinade over steak and let marinate.
- Wash spinach if needed and tear leaves if large.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Cut feta into half inch cubes (1.25cm.)
- Make vinaigrette: Put all ingredients in small bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Cook steak on barbecue grill or quickly sauté in nonstick skillet on stove. Either way cooking time is 3 - 4 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Remove and let rest.
- Add herbs and spinach to pasta.
- Add vinaigrette and toss well to coat.
- Slice the steak diagonally across the grain.
- Add steak to pasta along with chickpeas. Toss well to coat.
- Add feta and toss gently, just to combine. Serve.
Note: If using dried herbs rather than fresh add them to the vinaigrette.