Sausage, Rice and Bean Salad
Total time: 20 minutes
We've added a bit of Basmati rice to this salad - for interest and to round it out for a one dish dinner. Use any flavor sausage you like: Bratwurst, Italian, Duck and Olive....
- 1/3 cup (2.2oz, 65gr) Basmati rice
- 2/3 cup (5oz, 150ml) chicken stock
- 4 - 6 sausages, 10oz total weight, (300gr)
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes
- 8oz (240gr) white beans, drained
- 8oz (240gr) flageolet (green or small lima) beans, drained
or all white beans
- 2 tbs snipped fresh chives
- Salad greens for 2 large salads
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire
- 2 Tbs ketchup
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 3 tbs salad olive oil
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- When done, remove from heat, fluff with fork and put into large serving bowl.
- Cook sausages on barbecue grill for 10 - 15 minutes or until done or in nonstick skillet for same amount of time (until done).
- Open beans, drain, rinse.
- Cut tomatoes in half.
- Cut pepper into matchsticks.
- Snip chives.
- Slice sausages into 1 1/2" (4cm) pieces.
- Prepare salad greens.
- Put vinegar, ketchup, Worcestershire, garlic in small bowl and whisk to combine. Slowly drizzle in oil, whisking constantly.
- To finish:
- Toss salad greens with a bit of vinaigrette.
- Arrange on 2 plates.
- Layer rice, beans, pepper, tomatoes and sausage on top.
- Drizzle with a bit more vinaigrette and serve, remaining dressing on the side.