Lemon Chicken Salad
Total time: 30 minutes
Lemon marinated chicken and a lemony Honey Mustard Vinaigrette, give this salad a fresh, citrus flavor. Use any greens that are in season, but I especially like multi-colored Romaine for this.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbs olive oil
- lettuce - enough for 2 main course salads
- 4oz (120gr) green beans
- 1 small avocado
- 1/2 cup (3oz, 90gr) cherry tomatoes or 1 regular tomato
- 1/2 red, yellow or green bell pepper, 3oz (90gr)
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tbs freshly snipped chives
- 2 tbs freshly snipped
basil - lemon basil would be wonderful if you have any
- Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1 1/2 tbs honey
- 1 1/2 tbs course grain mustard
- 1 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 3 tbs salad olive oil
- In small bowl whisk together lemon and olive oil. Pour over chicken and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Prepare lettuce, tear and put into a large salad bowl.
- Top and tail beans and cut into 1 inch lengths.
- Fill a medium saucepan 2/3 full of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add beans and blanch for 3 minutes.
- While the beans cook fill a large bowl or pan 3/4 full of cold water. When the beans are done, drain and dump into the cold water. Swirl around until cool then drain and set aside.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half or slice tomato, then cut slices in half.
- Slice avocado
- Cut the pepper into matchsticks.
- Clean and thickly slice mushrooms.
- Take 2 tbs of the marinade from the chicken and heat in a medium nonstick skillet until sizzling.
- Add mushrooms and quickly stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- Cook chicken breasts on barbecue grill for 10 - 15 minutes, turning once, or until done. They are done when no longer pink and juices run clear. Stick a skewer or knife in to test.
- Or you can sauté them in a nonstick skillet for about the same amount of time. Remove chicken and slice.
- Honey Mustard Vinaigrette:
- In small bowl whisk together the honey, mustard and lemon juice.
- Slowly whisk in oil. It will be fairly thick - which means you have to toss well to avoid 'over-dressing'.
- To assemble:
- Toss lettuce with some of the vinaigrette.
- Arrange mushrooms in the center with chicken slices around the mushrooms, then the green beans, tomatoes, pepper and avocado around the chicken.
- Sprinkle walnuts, chives and basil over all.
- Drizzle with a bit of the vinaigrette and serve, with the remaining vinaigrette on the side.