Recipe in: Salads
Grilled Pork Chops with Spinach and Cannellini Salad
Total time: 30 minutes
Spinach and white beans, a favorite salad combination, served with marinated, grilled pork chops for a simple early summer salad, full of heart-healthy foods.
- 2 - 3 pork chops, about 12oz (360gr) total weight. (I used boneless)
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) tomato sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tbs red wine vinegar
- 3 tbs salad olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 3/4 cup (15oz, 450gr) white beans (cannellini)
- 4oz (120gr) fresh spinach for salad
- 2 tbs fresh marjoram or oregano
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120gr) cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs cornstarch (maizena)
- Mince garlic.
- Mix tomato sauce, garlic, 1 tbs oil, 1 tbs vinegar, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano in shallow baking dish.
- Add chops and allow to marinate while preparing salad.
- Wash and tear spinach for salad if needed.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Thinly slice red onion.
- Cut tomatoes in half.
- Tear marjoram leaves off stems, but leave whole.
- In large bowl mix remaining vinegar, oil, and dried herbs.
- Add mustard and whisk well to combine.
- Add onion, toss well and allow to marinate.
- Cook pork chops (reserve marinade) on barbecue grill or broil (grill) for 6 - 8 minutes per side, depending on thickness, until done. See techniques for tips. Chops can also be pan-fried for about the same amount of time.
- While chops are cooking, mix cornstarch into reserved marinade in a small sauce pan.
- Bring marinade to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until thickened.
- When chops are almost done add beans, marjoram, spinach and tomato to vinaigrette/onions and toss well to combine.
- Arrange salad on plates, add chop and serve, sauce on the side.