Pork Chops with Spanish Rice
Total time: 40 minutes
I use brown rice in this dish. Mine cooks in 20 minutes and I like the healthy aspect and nutty flavor of brown rice. You could substitute Basmati, Arborio, or plain white rice.
- 2 - 4 pork chops, depending on size, (12oz, 360gr boneless, 16oz, 480gr bone-in)
- 1 onion
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1 rib celery optional
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup (3.3oz, 95gr) brown rice, quick-cooking
- 1 3/4 cup (15oz, 450gr) whole tomatoes
- 1 cup (6oz, 180gr) frozen peas no sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil
- water or chicken stock, 1/4 - 1/2 cup
- Chop onion, celery and green pepper.
- Mince garlic.
- Heat oil in deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add pork chops and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes each. Remove.
- Add chili powder, onion, pepper, celery and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Open tomatoes and drain into a bowl.
- Chop the tomatoes and drain again.
- Add drained tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and rice to pan.
- Measure the drained liquid and add enough water or chicken stock to equal 1 cup (or however much liquid your rice package calls for).
- Pour this over the rice/vegetables in the skillet and stir well to combine.
- Lay the pork chops on top of the rice and cover.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook until rice is done. Stir occasionally while cooking.
- When the rice is almost done, stir in peas.
- Serve from the skillet.