Lamb and Vegetable Kebabs with Yogurt Dipping Sauce
Total time: 45 minutes
It does look nice to have the meat and vegetable on the same skewers - and you can do that if you partially pre-cook the vegetables. I prefer to do it all on the grill, and, as the different foods have different cooking times, arranging them on the skewers accordingly. Serve on a bed of Summer Couscous, Minted Sauce on the side.
- lamb shoulder, 14oz (420gr) (or pork or beef), cut into 1 1/2" (3.75cm) pieces
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 medium zucchini (courgette)
- 8 - 12 mushrooms, large enough to be skewered
- 8 large cherry tomatoes
- 6 - 8 skewers
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs sherry
- 1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Soak wooden skewers.
- In large, deep bowl whisk together all ingredients for marinade.
- Cut meat and add to the marinade; let marinate for 20 - 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Clean pepper and cut into 1 1/2 " (3.75cm) squares.
- Peel and cut onion into 8 wedges.
- Cut zucchini into thick slices, about an 3/4 inch (2cm).
- Clean mushrooms.
- Add all vegetables to bowl with meat/marinade and stir to coat.
- Thread meat, mushrooms and tomatoes on 2 - 3 skewers, alternating.
- Thread peppers, onions and zucchini on 2 - 3 skewers, alternating.
- Cook vegetable skewers on barbecue grill over direct heat for 10 - 15 minutes, turning once.
- When vegetables start to brown move to indirect heat and cook for another 5 - 10 minutes.
- When you move the vegetable skewers, start to cook meat skewers over direct heat.
- Cook until meat is done to your liking. We cooked ours for about 8 minutes, turning once.
- Remove and serve on a bed of Summer Couscous.
- Could also be cooked under the broiler (grill) for 12 - 15 minutes, or until done
Yogurt Dipping Sauce Time: 5 minutes
- 1/3 cup (3oz (90gr) Greek or plain yogurt
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp snipped fresh mint leaves (spearmint) if you don't have any, you could use 1 tsp dried mint or leave it out
- 2 tsp fresh snipped chives
- 1 tsp fresh snipped tarragon
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to use. Serve with kebabs.