Tagine of Lamb, Chickpeas and Potatoes
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Lamb with a Moroccan influence: a bit spicy, but not hot (my preference). Add hot sauce or harissa if you like the heat.
- 14oz (420gr) lamb, shoulder or leg
- 2 medium potatoes, (10oz, 300gr)
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups (15oz (450gr) chickpeas
- 1/3 cup green olives
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) chicken stock
- pinch of saffron threads, crushed optional
- 2 tbs parsley
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Slice onion.
- Mince garlic.
- Cut lamb into large pieces and trim excess fat.
- Heat oil in large skillet or tagine.
- Add lamb and brown well. Remove to a plate.
- Add onion, garlic, cumin, paprika, ginger, and sauté until onion is tender and starting to brown.
- Return lamb to tagine, add stock, reduce heat and braise for 30 minutes.
- Cut potatoes into quarters.
- Add saffron to skillet and stir well.
- Tuck potatoes around lamb, cover and braise 20 minutes longer.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Cut olives in half.
- Add chickpeas, olives, parsley and braise 10 minutes longer.
- Uncover, admire for a few moments, inhale the aroma, spoon meat and vegetables onto a platter and serve.