Braised Lamb with Chickpeas and Butternut Squash
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
This is meant to be like a tagine - which is the name of both the method/type of cooking and the conical-shaped dish they are made in. This should be thick and chunky, with little visible liquid remaining. Couscous is the traditional accompaniment.
- boneless lamb, shoulder or leg, pieces, 12oz (360gr) or lamb ribs 20oz (600gr)
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180gr) chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups (7oz, 210gr) cubed butternut squash
- 14 - 16 Greek olives (1.5oz, 50gr)
- 3 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/3 (3oz, 90ml) cup white wine
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Slice shallots; mince garlic.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Pit olives if needed and roughly chop.
- Cut lamb into large pieces and trim excess fat.
- Heat oil in a heavy pot or Dutch oven with tight-fitting lid.
- Add lamb and brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add the shallots, garlic, paprika and sauté until tender and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Return the lamb to the pot, add herbs, wine, tomato, chickpeas and squash.
- Cover, turn heat to low and braise for 60 minutes.
- When done, spoon meat and vegetables onto a platter and serve.