Pasta with Shrimp (Prawn) and Avocado Sauce
Total time: 25 minutes
The avocado makes a wonderful, creamy sauce for the pasta with only the 'good' fat. You can use heavy cream in place of the milk if you crave that richness, but I don't. It really doesn't need it! Grilling the shrimp adds another dimension to the dish, but you could just poach them quickly in a skillet in a 1/2 inch of water with a bit of lemon and pepper or use pre-cooked .
- 12oz (360gr) large shrimp (prawns)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- pasta, 4oz (120gr) dry fettuccini, OR 1 1/4 cups dry bite size, such as farfalle
- 3 tbs salad olive oil
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) chicken stock
- 1 tbs tarragon white wine vinegar
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) milk - or cream if you like, milk is on the shopping list
- 2 tbs chopped fresh chives.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse lightly with cool water.
- Clean shrimp if necessary. If not, rinse and drain.
- Mix chili powder, garlic, lemon and olive oil in a bowl.
- Add shrimp and toss to coat.
- Cut avocado and remove pit (see techniques). Scoop it out of the shell and put it into your blender.
- Add chicken stock, vinegar and purée until smooth.
- Add oil and purée just until blended, then add milk and purée a few seconds more.
- Cook shrimp in a grill pan on the barbecue grill over medium heat for 3 - 4 minutes, until they start to curl and turn opaque. You could also sauté in a skillet in another tablespoon of olive oil. Either way, when done remove. It's not necessary to have them hot for this dish.
- To finish: Put pasta into a large bowl and add avocado sauce, shrimp and chives. Mix gently and serve.