Total time: 30 minutes
If you are getting scallops in their shells, the shells make a lovely presentation. I love scallops but do not like the coral. Remove it or not as suits you. Be careful not to overcook the scallops. This used to be very decadent ... I made it recently and trimmed back the fat a bit. Still... I only do it once a year.
- 12oz (360gr) sea scallops
- 2/3 cup (5oz, 150ml) white wine
- 2/3 cup (5oz, 150ml) chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 3oz (90gr) mushrooms
- 2 shallots
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tbs flour
- 1/3 cup (3oz, 90ml) crème fraiche, cream, or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60ml) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Bring white wine, chicken stock and bay leaf to boil in large skillet.
- Add scallops and cook until just opaque, about 5 minutes.
- Remove and put into two individual baking dishes (scallop shells?) or 1 larger baking dish.
- Boil cooking liquid until reduced by half. Remove bay leaf.
- Mince shallot and slice mushrooms.
- Melt 1 tbs butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until golden, about 8 minutes more.
- Add shallots and mushrooms to scallops, dividing evenly.
- Melt remaining 1 tbs butter in saucepan.
- When hot add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and slowly add in reduced cooking liquid, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add crème fraiche and heat through.
- Pour sauce over scallop/mushrooms in baking dish(es).
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese.
- Bake in 375F (190C) oven for 15 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Serve.