Seared Scallops with Browned Shallots
Total time: 30 minutes
Use the larger sea scallops for this if you can..... And let the shallots get very crispy. Scallops are best when cooked quickly over fairly high heat. Overcooking tends to make them tough.
- 10oz (300gr) large scallops
- 3 shallots
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tomato
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Clean and slice shallots.
- Roughly chop tomato.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots and sauté until brown and crisp, 15 - 20 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Turn heat up to medium-high and add scallops. Fry until lightly golden, then turn and fry the other side, 4 - 5 minutes total. Scallops are done when they turn opaque.
- Remove and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium, add tomato and stir-fry quickly, 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar, soy sauce, basil, paprika and simmer 1 - 2 minutes longer.
- Spoon sauce over shallots, top with browned shallots and serve.