Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
Total time: 30 minutes
The combination of red tomatoes with red peppers makes a brilliant 'Tomato Soup' with just a hint of something to take it above the ordinary. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt, pepper strips, olives, shredded cheese, or just some freshly ground pepper.
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 15oz (450gr) whole tomatoes
- 2 shallots
- 1 rib celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Garnish: any or all of the following
- 2 tbs Greek yogurt
- 2 tbs shredded cheese
- a bit more red pepper
- 3 - 4 olive, any color
- Chop shallots, celery and garlic.
- Clean pepper and roughly chop half.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add paprika and sauté 30 seconds.
- Add shallots, celery and garlic and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add pepper, tomatoes with juices, herbs and 1/4 cup chicken stock.
- Heat to boiling, cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until pepper is tender and done.
- Purée either in a blender (easiest) or with an immersion blender.
- Add as much of the remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock as needed to get your desired consistency (it's a personal thing).
- Put soup back into pan and heat through.
- Garnish: Finely chop a bit more red pepper. Pit olives if necessary and slice.
- To serve: ladle soup into bowls. Spoon 1 tbs yogurt into the center of each bowl, or sprinkle with cheese, olives and red pepper.