Cream of Mushroom Soup with Sherry
Total time: 20 minutes
Try to get a variety of forest or wild mushrooms for this rather than the white button. Cremini will work, but the flavor will have more depth with 2 or 3 types of mushrooms.
- 6oz (180gr) forest mushrooms try for a mix, forest and/or cultivated
- 1 medium leek, 1 1/2 " (3.5cm) in diameter
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 cups (16oz, 480ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) milk or cream
- 2 tbs dry sherry
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp truffle or good olive oil
- Clean mushrooms (using brush - do NOT wash) and roughly chop.
- Clean leeks and finely slice.
- Mince garlic.
- Heat butter in medium saucepan. Add leeks, garlic and mushrooms and sauté for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Add stock, herbs, cover and heat through.
- When soup is done put solids in blender. Add enough of the broth to purée easily. I used all but 1/3 cup of the stock.
- Add milk and sherry.
- Check consistency and add more stock if needed.
- Gently heat just until soup is hot.
- Ladle into bowl, drizzle with a bit of truffle or good olive oil and serve.