Total time: 30 minutes
Little pizzas, made with prepared puff pastry, make an easy first course. Make them smaller and you have finger food for a cocktail party. These are topped with browned shallots, a bit of ham and cheese on a tomato base.... Mini pizza!
- puff pastry, 1/2 sheet
- 2 shallots
- 1oz (30gr) ham
- 1oz (30gr) cheese any flavor, I used cheddar
- 3 tbs ketchup
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Thaw the puff pastry, if needed.
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
- Heat oil in medium skillet, add shallots and sauté over medium-high heat until browned and starting to crisp around the edges, 10 - 12 minutes, longer if needed.
- Mix ketchup, soy sauce and oregano in a small bowl.
- Cut ham and cheese into small pieces.
- To assemble:
- Lay out puff pastry and cut two 5 inch circles (12 cm). Use a bowl as a guide.
- Lay pastry on baking sheet, either nonstick or lightly oiled.
- With a knife lightly score a line around the edge of each pastry, about 1/3" (.75 cm) from the edge. Do not cut through the pastry! (A butter knife works best.)
- Divide the ketchup mixture and spread within the scored lines.
- Spread the shallots evenly on the pastries.
- Divide the ham and sprinkle on top.
- Top with the cheese, keeping all of the ingredients within the scored lines.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 420F (210C) for 8 - 12 minutes, until sides of pastry have puffed around middle and are golden brown.
- Remove and serve.
Note: Either freeze the leftover puff pastry (it can be re-frozen once) or make Palmiers, savory or sweet.