Sweet and Sour Chicken
Total time: 30 minutes
This is based on the Chinese Sweet and Pungent sauces, but with red wine and without the soy sauce. A simple, skillet chicken.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 tbs red wine
- 3 tbs chicken stock
- 3 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves (laurel)
- 2 tsp cornstarch (maizena, corn flour) dissolved in 1 tbs water
- Chop onion.
- Cut chicken breasts in half if large.
- Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet.
- Add onion and sauté about 5 minutes.
- Move onions to the side and add chicken. Lightly brown on each side, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine, stock and vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add bay leaves, cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water.
- Uncover and increase heat.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add cornstarch and stir until thickened and clear.
- Put chicken breasts on a small platter, spoon some sauce over and serve, remaining sauce on the side.