Chicken Breasts with Sherried Mushrooms
Total time: 30 minutes
Mushrooms soak up the flavors they're cooked with, and when simmered with a bit of sherry, they turn simple chicken breasts into an elegant, gourmet dish suitable for guests... or just a delicious mid-week treat. For a dinner party I would use the cream... Midweek I use the milk or stock - which is what's on the List.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 5oz (150gr) mushrooms
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) sherry
- 3/8 cup (3oz, 90ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) shredded cheese, Gruyère
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs white Balsamic vinegar or white wine tarragon
- Clean and thickly slice mushrooms.
- Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet.
- Add chicken breasts and brown on both sides, about 10 minutes total.
- Remove and keep warm.
- Add mushrooms and vinegar to pan and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add sherry to mushrooms and scrape up any browned bits.
- Return chicken to pan, turn heat to low and simmer 5 - 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with cheese and cover briefly, just until cheese melts.
- Remove chicken and cover with the pan lid to keep warm.
- Increase the heat to medium high and add the milk to the pan.
- Boil rapidly, stirring, for about 3 minutes, until sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Spoon mushroom sauce over the chicken and serve.