Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breasts on Pimiento Sauce
Total time: 40 minutes
These are easy to make: slice a pocket, fill and tie. The Prosciutto wrapping infuses the chicken with flavor and helps keep it moist. The Pimiento Sauce adds just a bit of spice to it.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 - 2oz (50gr) Gruyère or other hard cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 slices Prosciutto (about 3oz, 90gr)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- kitchen string
- Pimiento Sauce:
- 5oz (150gr) pimientos (pimentos) or roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbs tomato paste use the stuff in the tube
- 1 tbs Greek or plain yogurt
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup (2-4oz, 60-120ml) chicken stock
- With a sharp knife make a long slit in the edge of the chicken breast - cutting horizontally and being careful not to cut through the other side. Make the cut on the 'straight' edge of the breast. You should have a pocket the shape of the breast with 1/2 inch of 'uncut' chicken around 3 sides.
- Tuck the sliced cheese inside.
- Lay 2 slices of Prosciutto side by side.
- Close the chicken breast and lay it on the Prosciutto at a slight angle, Roll and wrap, covering the chicken breast completely in the ham, as best you can.
- Wrap the entire parcel with kitchen string to hold it together - and keep as much cheese inside as possible.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and brown well on all sides, about 10 minutes total.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let finish cooking, another 10 - 15 minutes.
- Pimiento Sauce:
- Put pimiento/pepper, garlic powder and chili powder into a blender. Purée, adding as much stock as needed.
- Pour into a small saucepan and stir in tomato paste.
- Gently heat until it starts to simmer.
- Remove from heat, stir in yogurt and cover to keep warm.
- To finish:
- Remove chicken from heat. Snip the string in a few places and remove.
- Spoon some Pimiento Sauce onto the plates, place the chicken in the center and serve, any remaining sauce on the side.