Chicken with Mushrooms, Broccoli and Peppers
Total time: 25 minutes
Tarragon and capers are the main flavor components of this chicken dish. They give a Mediterranean taste to the peppers and broccoli. It all cooks quickly, leaving the vegetables crisp-tender.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 head broccoli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs capers
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 120ml) white wine
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs cornstarch (corn flour, maizena) dissolved in 2 tbs water
- Roughly chop onion.
- Slice the green pepper into strips 1/4" (.6cm) wide.
- Cut broccoli into florets and peel and slice the stem.
- Mince garlic.
- Trim and thickly slice mushrooms.
- Cut chicken into large bite-size pieces.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water.
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, broccoli, mushrooms and pepper and sauté another 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and sauté until it's cooked on all sides.
- Add capers, herbs, wine, stock and tomato paste.
- Cover, reduce heat and cook another 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and broccoli is just tender
- Uncover, increase heat.
- Stir in cornstarch to thicken.
- Serve over rice or with buttered potatoes.