Total time: 45 minutes
Popovers are so easy, and so good hot from the oven, slathered in some sweet butter, of course. The secret is simple: whisk the eggs, then lightly whisk in the milk and flour; a few lumps are okay, you don't want to deflate the eggs.
- 1 cup (4.5oz, 135gr) flour
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbs shredded cheese, Cheddar, Gruyère, Parmesan
- butter - for pan
- Butter muffin pan - even if it is nonstick, it's easier.
- Lightly beat eggs with fork or hand whisk.
- Add flour, milk, salt and whisk lightly - do not try to get out all of the lumps - doing this would cause over beating and tough popovers.
- Ladle half the batter into muffin pan.
- Divide the cheese evenly and sprinkle over batter.
- Ladle the rest of the batter on top. Cups should be 1/2 - 2/3 full.
- Put into preheated 450F (230C) oven for 25 minutes.
- Turn temperature down to 350F (175C) and continue baking 15 minutes longer, until nicely browned.
- Remove and serve.