Braised Veal with Olives and Capers on Gnocchi
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Large pieces of tender veal, braised with 2 kinds of olives and finished with capers; all in a simple white wine sauce.
- 14oz (420gr) veal
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) white wine
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 10 black olives I used dry-cured Greek olives
- 10 green olives I used pimento-stuffed olives
- 2 tbs capers
- 2 bay (laurel) leaves
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbs cornstarch (maizena) dissolved in 2 tbs water
- Gnocchi, 8oz (240gr)
- Cut veal into large chunks if needed.
- Peel and slice carrots.
- Roughly chop onion.
- Slice olives in thirds.
- Heat olive oil in medium Dutch oven or other pot with tight-fitting lid. Add veal and brown on all side.
- Add white wine and stir up any brown bits on the bottom.
- Add carrots, onion, green olives and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 60 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water.
- Turn the heat up under the pot and uncover.
- Add capers and black olives; remove bay leaves.
- Give the cornstarch mixture a stir and add to the pan a little at a time, stirring, until thickened to your liking.
- Gnocchi: Cook according to package directions.
- To serve: Put the gnocchi onto a platter. Spoon veal on top and serve.