Blanquette de Veau Veal in White Wine Sauce
Total time: 2 hours
Braised veal and vegetables, finished with a white wine sauce is a classic French dish, easy to make, delicious, and impressive to serve. It can easily be expanded for a dinner party.
- 14oz (420gr) veal, suitable for braising
- 1 onion
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bouquet garni
- 2 carrots
- 4 shallots
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) dry white wine
- 1 1/4 cups (10oz, 300ml) chicken stock (divided) plus water enough to cover meat in pan
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbs cornstarch dissolved in
2 tbs water
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 125gr) Greek yogurt, sour cream or crème fraiche
- Gnocchi, 7oz (210gr)
- The Veal:
- Cut meat into large chunks, 1 1/2 " (3.75 cm).
- Cut the onion in half and stud with cloves.
- Peel the carrots and cut in half the short way, then in half the long way.
- Place meat, onion, carrots and bouquet garni in a heavy saucepan or casserole.
- Pour the white wine over and 1 cup of the chicken stock to cover, adding water if needed.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, cover, reduce heat and simmer, very gently, for 90 minutes.
- The Veg:
- 30 - 45 minutes before veal is done start the vegetables: Peel the shallots.
- Brush the mushrooms, remove stems. Thickly slice if large, leave small mushrooms whole.
- Heat 1 tbs of the butter and the lemon juice in a medium nonstick skillet.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tbs butter and whole shallots. Sauté until shallots start to brown.
- Add 1/4 cup chicken stock, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Remove cover and cook off most of the liquid.
- Add mushrooms to pan, cover and turn off heat.
- The Gnocchi:
- Cook according to package directions.
- To Finish:
- Remove veal and carrots from pot, cover and keep warm.
- Strain cooking liquid, put it back into the pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce to 1 cup (or so)
- Turn heat under sauce to medium-low. Dissolve cornstarch in water and thicken sauce.
- Remove from heat, add yogurt and nutmeg, stirring well.
- Put the gnocchi onto a platter. Arrange veal, carrots, shallots and mushroom on top.
- Spoon some sauce over meat, vegetables and pass the rest.