Meat Loaf Parmesan
Total time: 25 minutes
Leftovers are wonderful, particularly when you can serve them in a totally different way. The chunky tomato sauce and freshly grated Parmesan take the humble meat loaf to a new gastronomic level. Be a bit careful serving so the slices stay together.
- leftover meat loaf
- 15oz (450gr) whole tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1/4 cup (1oz, 30gr) shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup (1oz, 30gr) grated Parmesan
- Chop onion and mince garlic.
- Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet. Add chili powder and sauté 1 minute.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté 5 minutes.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving juices.
- Roughly chop tomatoes. Add tomatoes, their reserved juices, herbs, vinegar and tomato paste to pan.
- Stir well, reduce heat, cover and simmer.
- Cut meat loaf into thick slices.
- After sauce has simmered for 10 minutes lay slices of meat loaf in the sauce.
- Cover and simmer another 10 minutes, until meat has heated through.
- Sprinkle cheeses on each slice and cover until cheese has melted. Serve, sauce on the side.