Meatballs in Tomato Ricotta Sauce, Cannellini, Pasta
Total time: 30 minutes
Almost a skillet dinner - the meatballs are cooked in the sauce but the pasta is cooked separately. The ricotta is stirred into the sauce making it creamy - if a bit pale.
- 8oz (240gr) ground beef
- 2 tbs dry bread crumbs
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs ketchup
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 15oz (450gr) whole tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cup (10oz, 300gr) white beans
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120gr) ricotta
- 1 1/4 cup (4.1oz, 120gr) bite-size pasta
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In medium bowl combine egg, bread crumbs, mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and oregano. Mix well.
- Add beef and mix well, hands work best, kneading it like bread dough.
- Form into small meatballs, about 1" (2.5cm) in diameter.
- Roughly chop onion and pepper.
- Mince garlic.
- Open tomatoes, roughly chop, reserving all sauce.
- Rinse beans if needed, drain.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add oil, paprika, chili powder and sauté briefly.
- Add onion, pepper, garlic and sauté until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, juices and stir to combine.
- When simmering, add the meatballs, being careful that they don't touch.
- Cover, reduce heat and continue to simmer until done, stirring and turning the meatballs once or twice, about 10 minutes.
- To finish:
- Add ricotta, stirring well to combine.
- Add beans, cover and heat through.
- Add pasta, stir well and serve.