Total time: 30 minutes
Similar to the oft-dreaded 'Salisbury Steak', only much, much better. Finished with a red wine and mushroom sauce.
- 12oz ground beef (360gr mince)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 ribs celery
- 5oz (150gr) mushrooms
- 2 tbs dry bread crumbs
- 1 tsp paprika, divided
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) beef stock
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) red wine
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Chop onion, celery.
- Finely chop 2 tbs each of the onion and celery.
- Trim mushrooms and thickly slice.
- Finely chop enough of the sliced mushrooms to equal 4 tbs.
- Put the finely chopped 4 tbs mushrooms, 2 tbs onion, 2 tbs celery, bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp paprika, marjoram and beef in a large bowl and mix well.
- Form into 2 patties.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the burgers and sauté, 5 - 7 minutes per side, turning carefully.
- Remove, cover to keep warm.
- Add remaining mushrooms, onions, celery, paprika to skillet and sauté about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add beef stock, red wine, tomato paste and stir well.
- Return patties to pan, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors and heat patties.