Healthier Taco Salad
Total time: 30 minutes
I like to add rice or quinoa to salads to round out the meal. You can leave it out and have some crusty country bread, if you prefer. Add more chile powder, more chilies or jalapeños, Tabasco, whatever, to make it as hot as you like.
- 8oz (240gr) ground beef (mince) or turkey
- 1/3 cup (2.2oz, 65gr) quick-cooking brown rice
- 2/3 cup (5oz, 150ml) beef stock
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4oz (125gr) chopped green chiles
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3oz (90gr) cherry tomatoes about 1/2 cup before slicing
- 1 avocado if it's ready earlier in the week, refrigerate it until needed
- 2 jars taco sauce hot or mild, or 1 of each
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) shredded cheese - your choice
- Lettuce - enough for 2 main meal salads
- Cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Chop onions and pepper.
- Mince garlic.
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chili powder and sauté briefly (30 seconds).
- Add onion, pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, beef and continue cooking until meat is done.
- Drain chiles and stir into beef.
- Add taco sauce - you want the meat mixture to be thick so don't add all of the sauce if it's not needed - serve the rest on the side.
- Take meat mixture off heat.
- Slice tomatoes and avocado (see techniques).
- Tear the lettuce and arrange on plates.
- Divide rice and put on lettuce, divide meat mixture and put on rice.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Artfully arrange tomato and avocado slices around salad and serve with any remaining salsa.