Taco Salad, a la Française
Total time: 25 minutes
Couscous, chevre (goat cheese) and a vinaigrette add a different twist to this Taco Salad. Substitute ground turkey and chicken stock if you like.
- 8oz (240gr) ground beef
- 1/3 cup (2oz, 60gr) couscous
- 2/3 cup (5oz, 150ml) beef stock
- 1 onion
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper
- 1 rib celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3oz (90gr) cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 8oz (240gr) taco sauce
- 3oz (90gr) goat cheese
- 2 tbs bread crumbs
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Lettuce - enough for 2 main meal salads
- French Vinaigrette:
- 1 1/2 tbs ketchup
- 2 tsp red wine or sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbs salad olive oil
- Put couscous in a bowl
- Heat stock to boiling. Pour over couscous, cover and set aside.
- Chop onion, pepper and celery.
- Mince garlic.
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chili powder and sauté briefly (30 seconds).
- Add onion, pepper, celery and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, beef and continue cooking until meat is done.
- Stir in taco sauce and remove from heat.
- Make vinaigrette:
- Mix ketchup, vinegar chili powder and mustard.
- Slowly add olive oil, whisking constantly.
- Tear the lettuce and into a large bowl
- Add vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Divide and arrange on plates.
- Slice tomatoes and avocado.
- Slice goat cheese into 6 slices.
- Dip cheese rounds in oil, then in crumbs
- Place on baking sheet and bake, 400F (200C) for 2 minutes.
- Divide couscous and sprinkle on lettuce, divide beef mixture and put on couscous.
- Top with hot goat cheese rounds.
- Artfully arrange tomatoes and avocado slices around salad and serve.