Warm Mediterranean Chicken Salad on Spinach
Total time: 25 minutes
Chicken, quickly sautéed with herbs and spices, combined with capers, olives, peppers - all flavors from around the Mediterranean. The salad is layered on orzo and spinach.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 12 dry-cured or Greek olives
- 2 tbs capers
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs white Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) sherry
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) chicken stock
- 2 tsp cornstarch (maizena, corn flour) dissolved in 1 tbs water
- 1/2 cup (4.5oz, 130gr) orzo
- 1 1/4 cup (10oz, 300ml) chicken stock
- 3oz (90gr) spinach or other spring greens
enough for 2 main meal salads
- Cook orzo in chicken stock, covered, until done. Drain if needed.
- Slice pepper into strips, then cut strips in half.
- Quarter onion, then slice.
- Mince garlic.
- Pit olives if needed, cut in half.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cumin, herbs and sauté briefly.
- Add onion, peppers, garlic, chicken and sauté until vegetables are tender and chicken is browned on all sides.
- Add sherry, vinegar, stock and bring to a simmer.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water and add, stirring until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add olives and capers.
- Prepare spinach or greens, spin dry. Arrange on two plates.
- Divide orzo and spoon on top of greens.
- Divide chicken and spoon on top of orzo. Serve.