Niçoise Pasta Salad
Total time: 25 minutes
Traditionally (besides being served on lettuce) this should have the small, black Niçoise olives but I use the dry-cured Greek - because I didn't want to bother pitting the small ones. Get the best canned tuna you can find. Salade Niçoise always uses canned, never fresh. The pasta takes the place of the potatoes.
- 6oz (180gr) green beans
- 1/2 cup (3oz, 90gr) cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow or orange bell pepper
- 9oz (270gr) canned tuna
- 2 eggs, hard cooked
- 1/2 cup black or green olives, (or both) pitted and halved
- 2 tbs fresh snipped chives Substitute 2 tsp dried
- 1 1/4 cups (4.2oz, 125gr) pasta - bite-size, penne, fusilli
- 4 anchovy fillets optional
- 1/4 cup salad olive oil
- 2 tbs tarragon white wine vinegar
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs fresh tarragon Substitute 2 tsp dried
- 2 tbs snipped chives Substitute 2 tsp dried
- Boil eggs.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Top and tail beans and cut in half.
- Fill a medium saucepan 2/3 full of water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add beans and blanch for 3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- To make vinaigrette:
- Whisk vinegar, mustard and lemon juice.
- Slowly add oil, whisking until it emulsifies.
- Add tarragon, chives, stir and put into a large salad bowl.
- The Salad:
- Add beans to vinaigrette.
- Cut tomatoes in half and add to vinaigrette.
- Clean pepper by cutting in half and discarding seeds. Slice half of the pepper and add to vinaigrette.
- Snip chives and add.
- Cut olives in half and add (you get the picture.. - stir gently after each addition.).
- Drain tuna, and add.
- When pasta is cooked, drain and add to mix in salad bowl.
- Toss lightly to combine.
- Quarter eggs and arrange on top.
- Garnish with anchovies, if desired, and serve.