Cobb Pasta Salad
Total time: 25 minutes
This is not a traditional pasta salad. With lots of vegetables and big chunks of ham, cheese and egg, no one will mistake this for a small side dish. I didn't thoroughly cool the beans. As I wanted them to retain a bit of warmth I just rinsed lightly.
- 8oz (240gr) ham or smoked turkey, thick slice get it at the deli counter
- 6oz (180gr) green beans I used flat, Italian or runner beans
- 2oz (60gr) cheese Cheddar, Colby
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup (3oz, 90gr) cherry tomatoes
- 10 - 12 basil leaves
- 1 1/4 cups (4.2oz, 125gr) pasta, bite-size, fusilli, elbow
- White Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tbs white Balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbs salad olive oil
- Cook pasta according to package directions. When done, drain.
- Boil eggs.
- Top and tail beans... cut off the ends. Cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths (4cm).
- Bring a medium saucepan half full of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add beans and blanch for 4 minutes.
- Remove, drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Slice pepper, about 1/4" thick (.5cm) then cut slices in half.
- Slice ham or turkey and cheese into large, bite-size chunks.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Cut avocado into large chunks.
- When eggs are done, cool, peel and cut into chunks.
- Tear large basil leaves in half.
- Make vinaigrette:
- Whisk vinegar,and mustard.
- Slowly whisk in oil and whisk until it emulsifies.
- To assemble: Put drained pasta in a large bowl and add vinaigrette. Toss well to combine.
- Add ham, peppers, tomato and beans, toss well.
- Add cheese, egg, basil and avocado. Stir gently, just to combine.