Salad with Sausage and Quinoa
Total time: 20 minutes
Quinoa adds both a delicious nutty flavor and lots of extra nutrition to this salad. If you prefer, you could use brown rice, small pasta, potatoes (cubed and roasted) or just leave it out.
- 1/2 cup (3.5oz, 100gr) quinoa
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock
- 8oz (240gr) sausages
- 1 small jar artichoke hearts
- 1 carrot
- 8 - 10 cherry tomatoes
- greens: spinach, lettuce, for 2 large salads
- 3 tbs fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tbs snipped fresh garlic or regular chives
- Creamy Herb Dressing
- Combine quinoa and stock in small saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until done, about 15 minutes. When done, uncover and fluff.
- Cook sausages on barbecue grill 10 - 15 minutes or until done (can also be sautéed in nonstick skillet - same amount of time).
- When done cut in half.
- Peel carrot, then, with peeler, continue to thinly slice carrot until you reach your fingers.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Drain artichokes.
- Wash and prepare greens as needed, tearing the large leaves.
- Make Herb Dressing.
- Put greens in a large salad bowl. Add 1/3 of the dressing and toss well with tongs to combine.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss.
- Taste and add more dressing as needed.
- Serve, remaining dressing on the side.
Creamy Herb Dressing
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 125ml) Greek or plain yogurt
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs white Balsamic vinegar or white whine tarragon vinegar
- 1 tbs fresh snipped chives Substitute 2 tsp dried
1 tbs fresh snipped oregano Substitute 2 tsp dried
3 tbs good olive oil
- Snip oregano and chives with scissors.
- In small bowl whisk yogurt, mustard and vinegar.
- Add oil, a bit at a time and whisk well. Add herbs. This will keep a week.