Tuna Barley Salad
Total time: 30 minutes
This is a variation on the traditional Tuna Macaroni Salad. It's lots healthier and we like the chewy barley.... Use quick-cooking pearl barley, which takes about 15 minutes.
- 2/3 cup (3.3oz, 95gr) quick-cooking barley
- 1 1/3 cup (11oz, 330ml) chicken stock
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 9oz (270gr) tuna
- 1 - 2 ribs celery
- 1 cup peas frozen, thawed, no sauce
- 1/2 cup (3oz, 90gr) cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbs fresh, snipped chives
- 2 tbs fresh, snipped basil
- Creamy Dressing:
- 2 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 4 tbs Greek or plain yogurt
- 4 tbs mayonnaise
- Put barley and chicken stock in a small saucepan.
- Cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes for quick cooking barley.
- Cook eggs. When done, cool, peel and roughly chop.
- Thaw peas by running under hot water; drain well.
- Open and drain tuna
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Roughly chop celery.
- Snip chives and basil.
- Make dressing:
- Put all ingredients into a bowl and stir well to combine.
- To finish:
- Put barley into a large bowl.
- Add tuna, eggs, peas, tomatoes, celery, herbs, dressing and stir well to combine.