Barley, Ham and Green Bean Salad
Total time: 20 minutes
Use quick-cooking pearl barley, which takes about 15 minutes. Cook in chicken stock for added flavor. I used the flat, Italian beans in this but any green or yellow bean will work.
- 2/3 cup (3.3oz, 95gr) quick cooking barley
- 1 1/3 cup (11oz, 330ml) chicken stock
- 10oz (300gr) ham
- 8oz (240gr) green beans
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato
- 2 tbs fresh, snipped chives
- Mustard Vinaigrette:
- 2 tbs whole grain mustard
- 2 tbs Greek or plain yogurt
- 1 tbs sherry vinegar
- 1/2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Put barley and chicken stock in a small saucepan.
- Cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes for quick cooking barley.
- Top and tail beans. Cut into 1 1/2" (4cm) lengths.
- Bring a medium saucepan half full of water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add beans and blanch for 4 minutes.
- Remove, drain and refresh in cold water.
- Cut ham into bite-size pieces. Slice avocado and tomato. Snip chives.
- Make vinaigrette: Whisk all ingredients until well combined.
- To finish:
- Put barley into a large bowl.
- Add beans, ham, chives and half of the vinaigrette, Stir to combine.
- Divide and spoon onto 2 plates.
- Arrange half of the avocado and tomato on each plate, drizzle with a bit of vinaigrette and serve.