Creamy Barley and Chard Gratin
Total time: 45 minutes
An easy gratin - do the prep work, pop it in the oven and let it finish while you relax.
- 1/2 cup (2.8oz, 80gr) quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock
- 8oz (240gr) chard, stems and leaves
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbs fresh parsley
- 1 tbs fresh basil
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) shredded cheese
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60gr) Greek or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) milk or chicken stock
- Cook barley in chicken stock until done, usually about 15 minutes for quick-cooking.
- Chop onion.
- Wash the chard and trim any bad bits. Stack the leaves together and fold over, the long way. Slice into thin strips, using both leaves and stems.
- Snip herbs.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion and chard stems to skillet and sauté until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add the chard leaves and sauté until wilted. Remove from heat.
- Stir in herbs.
- Whisk eggs, yogurt and milk together.
- To finish:
- Spread chard / onion mixture in the bottom of a baking dish just large enough to hold everything.
- Add barley, spreading evenly over vegetables.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over the top and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, 400F (200C), until nicely browned and set.
- Remove and serve.