Slow-Roasted Moroccan Leg of Lamb
Total time: 3 hours 30 minutes
This is started hot, to brown the crust, then finished slowly. It remains a lovely rose when sliced... and the crust is fantastic.... The best lamb I've had. This will easily serve 4 - 6. Add more potatoes. Get a larger leg (and more potatoes) to serve more.
- 2lb leg of lamb
- 2 tbs soft butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium potatoes
- Make a paste of the butter, oil, cumin, paprika, rosemary and garlic.
- With a sharp knife make slits all over the lamb.
- Spread the paste on the lamb, covering it as best you can.
- Roast for 10 minutes at 425F (220C).
- Reduce temperature to 315F (160C) and roast for 3 hours, basting with pan juices every 30 minutes.
- 45 minutes before lamb is set to be done cut potatoes into large chunks and add to roasting pan, stir to coat with pan juices and continue to roast.
- To serve: Remove lamb and allow to rest for 10 - 15 minutes before carving.
- Put potatoes back into oven, (turn oven off) to keep warm.
- When ready, slice lamb, arrange on platter with potatoes.