Dill Pickles with Garlic and Onion
For each quart jar (or in my case, ¾ litre)
- 1 slice onion
- 1 ½ cloves garlic
- 1 head of dill
- 1 tbs pickling or sea salt (do not use Iodized or rock salt)
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1/8 tsp alum
- 4 juniper berries
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tiny, dried, hot red pepper (about ½ inch long)
- ¼ tsp black peppercorns
- 1 small bay (laurel) leaf, broken
- ½ cup white vinegar
- Put onion, garlic and half the dill into the bottom of the jar.
- Tightly pack in the pickling cukes.
- Add the salt, sugar, alum and all spices.
- Pour vinegar over the top
- Fill with boiling water, put hot rubber ring on, seal and process, boiling water bath, for 15 minutes.